Can’t open user profile directory, because you lack sufficient privileges.
After Windows 7 had installed the latest updates the following error appeared when trying to reopen Opera Web Browser.
I have had this problem after the last TWO Microsoft updates and can confirm both these solutions WORK
A) This was to clear browser history in Safe mode as follows:
- Press Windows Key + r
- Go to boot and select safe mode (After your PC restarts it will be in Safe Mode)
- Open Opera
- Clear Browsing history
- Use steps 1 to 2 to open msconfig
- Unselect Safe mode and restart
B) Rename WebData and run as Administrator
The second time this happened I tried to use a combination of other methods I found in Opera Forums (which also worked).
- Navigate to C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable
- Rename WebData to Webdata.temp
- Start Opera and let it fail and exit
- Note that a new WebData has appeared
- Delete that new Webdata file
- Rename the prior Webdata.temp to WebData
- Right-Mouse click on the Opera icon and run as administrator (It now starts)
- Exit and restart using the icon will now work as a normal user
Hope this helps, note it only occurs as a result of a Windows 7 update because Microsoft (in their infinite wisdom) close down your PC when updating (which in my case was the default setting after instal I had not needed to change previously).